Thursday, January 5, 2012

One beautiful rejection

One of my business goals for the year of 2012 was to have a wedding published in a bridal magazine and this morning I got my first rejection....OUCH! Can someone please untwist and remove the dull dagger in my heart. That made me feel way worse than I thought it would. I will be honest, I am by biggest critic when it comes to my images, but I really thought this one was a winner. I was a little sad that the editor said the shoot was "cute". hmmmm, "cute"...not sure how I feel about that...


Alrighty....so moving onward! I can never succeed unless I fail. And I have a feeling I am going to fail repeatedly. The hardest thing about putting yourself out there is knowing that you are going to get cut down, which is probably why I have avoided it until now. This is a new me though..I can take it..I think. Wait, I was an intensive care nurse for seven years! I should be able to take plenty of criticism!! I will let you know how I feel after another rejection. 


As disappointing as it was to get the "cute" news, I am actually kinda pumped up about the challenge. It is time for me to work harder, be myself and not hold back. I can't believe it took me three years in the business to say that!! I am excited for what is to come. I am even excited about my future failures, because I know that as long as I stay true to myself, a huge FAIL will only make me stronger!


"We miss 100% of the shots we do not take."-Wayne Gretzky 


failing to succeed, 
Karie



6 comments:

  1. Just keep a positive attitude, you've got a lot of year left :)

    "If you try to win, you might lose. But if you don’t try to win, you’ll always lose." - Jens Voigt

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep submitting girl! You'll get there! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Alright, so moving onward..."
    THAT statement right there...GOLD. I have to be honest, I fear rejection so much too with things I put my heart into (like photography). But I know it's with failure that we grow. Someone I respect recently said...it's better to swing for the fences and miss than to not swing at all. (similar to Gretzky's statement but so true) We never know our potential otherwise. You are wise so early in your career Karie and I'm excited to watch you this year. We'll meet up to clink champaign glasses when you get news of that first publication!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You will make it honey, your pictures are amazing. They have to be picky or it wouldn't be bridal mag :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rejection is the worst. But its gonna happen in our line of business over and over again!!! This goes for everything. Even getting booked by a bride you just felt there was no way she would not choose you...but didn't. :( pick yourself up. Dust yourself off. And keep submitting g that same wedding to every single wedding blog you could think of. My favorite wedding was rejected 7 times with all my top pics and just when I was about to give up, I tried one more time and it was finally accepted. These blogs want original because they have seen it all. I finally found one that just wanted pretty pictures. Whewwww. :) you got this!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.